Elevating the passion for Dance to the Stars!
Rules and Expectations of SPDC Competition
Dancers/Parents/Friends and Family Members
- Each dancer must have a positive attitude at all in times in all studio classes, workshops & Competitions.
- Each dancer must encourage and support ALL SPDC team members.
- You must inform Miss Katie prior to class for any absence, including illness. No more than 4 absences per season. Ballet classes must be made up if more than 2 are missed. Ballet is crucial to the success of a competition dancer.
- In the event that we have a government shut down, classes will immediately convert to virtual lessons. Schedules will remain the same & attendance policies will remain in effect as well.
- Everyone is expected to work together as a team and help in the growth of their fellow teammates.
- Each dancer must be respectful to all dancers, teachers and faculty both inside and outside of the classroom. This includes refraining from derogatory comments about the studio, director, faculty, fellow teammates and/or parents. This includes in person, on phone, and on the Internet.
- Gossiping will not be tolerated amongst the students and or parents, or about other students and or parents within SPDC.
- Gossiping will not be tolerated amongst the students and or parents about other dance studios or competitors.
- While representing SPDC, students and parents are expected to display good sportsmanship at all times to everyone they are in contact with.
- During competition, whether we win or lose, we are expected to have a winning attitude.
- All competition fees must be paid on time; solo/duet/trio entries will NOT be submitted if payment is not received on time. Late fees will be assessed, by competition, at $10 per week on any unpaid portion of the fees. (I.e. If DXP comp fee is $300, the weekly late fee is assessed until the entire original fee is paid in full.)
- All Students are required to wear official SPDC shirts/warm-ups etc. at all competitions.
- Anyone who would like to take a masterclass/workshop at another facility/venue or attend an additional competition MUST get it preapproved by Miss Katie.
- Competition Team Dancers may not be a student at another competitive dance studio as some competitions have rules that will disqualify a studios entire team for this. Classes taken at gymnastics facilities and or ballet facilities whom do not compete are always accepted as long as the schedules do not conflict with competition team schedule and also letting Miss Katie know prior.
- Each competitive dancer must get at least 1 ad for the end of the year recital program. Programs have bios and many other competitive things. (can be business card up to full page ad)
- If for any reason your child can not fulfill their requirement, you are required to surrender their costume(s) for the entire season & pay all comp fees if a fill in for routines is needed.
- If I opt to not allow my child to attend nationals I MUST allow ANY costume to be borrowed by another teammate.
- All students are to respect professional decisions and do what is asked of them. All students and parents must understand that Miss Katie & our ballet professionals have the Final say about class placement and all other matters concerning SPDC and competitions.
Additional Competition Team Requirements
* Ballet required:1 hr- 2 hr class depending on level*
* Jazz is required to take competition musical theater or acro*
* Lyrical is required to take competition contemporary*
* 4 mandatory competitions*
* 1 mandatory convention or workshop*
* At least 2 of the 3 summer options (sessions/camp)*
*participate in at least 1 parade or public appearance*
* Mandatory production (class 1x per month- no charge)*
* Must take part in holiday performance & recital*
* No unexcused absences, Max of 4 absences per season*
* 2 annual studio sleepovers one in early November & one in February* (If regulations allow)
* Big/little sisters assigned each year to keep our team united as a family*
* Pep Rally in February (this is used as a dress rehearsal for competition as well)*
* End of competition season award party*
All Competition/company students and parents are expected to conduct themselves in a courteous and respectable manner at all times. Gossiping by a student or a parent about other students, parents, staff members or other studios is not tolerated. Disrespecting a faculty member or another student or being discourteous to a fellow student is grounds for disciplinary action that may result in probation, suspension or being asked to leave the studio permanently. In the event that you are asked to not return to the studio there will be no reimbursement for any classes, competitions, costumes or any other fees collected by the studio, you also must surrender any costumes to the studio for competition/performance use. All Competition Students and their parents will be expected to both read and sign this Competition contract page before committing to the 2020-2021 SPDC competitive program.
Parent ________________________________________________________ Date____________________
Student ________________________________________________________ Date____________________